How To Curate The Perfect Stack

March 2023
Curating the perfect ear stack, in our opinion, is a fine art. For those with multiple piercings, finding the perfect combination comes down to balance and creative expression – enter ‘Ear Curators’. Our Covetear specialists are trained in selecting the perfect placement, arrangement and jewellery style for your lobes.

To start, one must consider your individual ear anatomy, as well as the length and space available. Constellation or abstract designs can help to fill in space for larger lobe areas, whereas if you have a shorter lobe – you may want to carefully place your piercings more spread out to avoid looking overcrowded.

THE 40/60 RULE

Ear curation experts sometimes refer to what is known as the ‘40/60 rule’ – where 40% of piercings are adorned with bold, statement pieces and the remaining 60% is filled with more dainty, understated and complimentary styles. This is a good rule of thumb when trying to achieve balance – which is crucial to achieving a dream stack. It is no longer required to get the same style of piercing on both ears. If you want to pierce one lobe or wear a stack of earrings on one side, have at it — the more asymmetrical, the better. This burgeoning trend allows you to play around with your style and change things up depending on how you feel.

THE CASCADING RULE

Mixing different styles and textures together is key to layering. For example, pave and plain hoops can complement one another. When in doubt, follow the cascading rule. The cascading rule is when you have your larger, more dangly pieces at the front (your firsts, seconds, etc.) and smaller, more huggie or stud pieces the higher you go up the ear (High Lobe, Conch, Helix, etc.). This gives the effect of an effortless elongated ear stack, balanced by the height of your jewellery. Stacked ear piercings can also be a great way to transform an awkwardly placed existing piercing into a design that looks intentional and elegant.

'It all begins with considering your unique personal style & ear anatomy'

THE HELIX: THE PERFECT ADDITION TO YOUR STACK

The Helix piercing is one of the most popular and versatile cartilage piercings thanks to its complementary nature. In fact, we'd argue that no ear stack is complete without some variation of Helix piercing. There are three types of Helix piercings to choose from: Standard Helix, Front Helix and Helix Flap piercings. Helix piercings go through the cartilage around the ear. It's considered a Helix piercing once it pierces the skin that isn't the fleshy lobe. A Forward Helix piercing goes through the cartilage at the front of the ear, while a Flap Helix sits on the outside of the ear, as opposed to the inside.

ARTISTIC GROUPINGS

Artistic groupings of three or more piercings are all the rage. Particularly the Daith, Rook, Forward Helix, and Tragus. If you, like so many of us, have a less-than-desirable existing piercing that sits slightly lower on your lobe than you would like – you can do something parallel and add a tiny little accent stud above. This is a great solution for those who have a placement slightly off-centre.

YOUR CURATED EAR SPECIALISTS

Covetear offers professional ear curation advice. After all, every ear is unique and it is an art form that our master piercers have been trained in. Our experts will help to style your existing piercings, while providing a bespoke treatment plan to build on. It all begins with considering your unique personal style and ear anatomy, then by exploring our extensive 14k collection of high-quality piercing jewellery. We have all the necessary ingredients: cartilage earrings, dainty studs, hoops and statement pieces. You can choose from solid yellow or white gold, or opt for a little sparkle – adorned with lab-grown and conflict-free diamonds.

 

Deja un comentario